Life360 Alternative: 11 Best Family Locator Apps in 2023
Life360 is a great family locator app which allows you to set and receive location alerts when your family or friends arrive or leave a location, as well as chatting within the app. The free version only allows you to have 2 Places and to have 2 days of location history, but the premium version, Life360 Plus, gives you access to unlimited Places, 30 days of location history, and 24/7 support.
Is there any location apps like Life360? Or is there any app better than Life360? Here are 11 best family locator apps you can use as Life360 alternatives.
1. Google Maps: The Best Option for Basic Location Sharing (Free)
Google Maps is great for helping you find your way, but the app can also help other people find you.
When you want someone to be able to see your location and estimated arrival time while you’re en route to a particular destination:
- Open the Maps app, and start navigating to your destination
- Swipe up on the bar at the bottom of the screen (where your remaining travel time is shown), then select “Share trip progress” from the menu that appears
- Select the name of the person with whom you want to share your progress or select an app you want to use for sharing
- Lacks the ability to set or receive alerts based on location changes.
2. Family locator MyFamily
For another alternative to Life360, check out MyFamily. This app is available not only on Android and iPhone, but also on Amazon devices and Windows devices. While Life360 requires an account, My Family ditches that in favor of an invitation code, meaning you don’t have to register for anything.
You can see location history for up to three years in the past. And of course, there’s an emergency button for alerting the family of a problem and geofencing for knowing when someone enters or leaves a particular area.
MyFamily is free to download and use. Premium adds the features above and is available by subscription: $14.99/year.
- It allows hiding the GPS location, except in Child Mode. When the GPS location is hidden, you can’t locate the target device.
- Unless you have turned on GPS feature on the target device, this app can’t work to track it.
3. Find My Friends (iOS)
Not to be confused with Find my iPhone; Find my Friends is only available inside the Apple walled garden. So, if your friends and family have an iPhone or iPad, Find My Friends could be one of the best family tracker app for you.
To get started, simply open the ‘Find My Friends’ app tap the Add button on the top right. Select the contacts you want to share location with. Alternatively, you can enter someone’s Apple ID to send a request. Once the contact enables location sharing from their end, you’ll be able to see them on the map.
- Restricted to Apple Devices
4. Sygic Family Locator
This program works a little differently from others. Sygic Family Locator focuses more on where your family members are through GPS-enabled devices. To use the Sygic program, you would activate the GPS signals on any of their devices. After this, you will save information on the devices that link to those GPS signals.
- Only works when the targeted devices have enough battery power
- May not update as quickly in real time
5. Sprint FamilyWall
Sprint’s FamilyWall helps you keep an eye on and keep connected with all the family. A platform to share photos as well as locate everyone means that it’s more than just an eye from afar.
Features which help FamilyWall break away from the pack include its functionality for organizing and communicating. You can set tasks and to-do lists, as well as reminders for the whole family, meaning no one has an excuse for not knowing what’s going on. Members can share their location to help you see where they are.
Downsides to this application are that it only offers a free 15-day trial, after that it’s $2.99 per month for its premium service and $5.99 for its premium+ service.
- There are workarounds for people with phones that are being tracked. They can simply turn the phone off, not bring the phone with them, switch their phone to airplane mode
- Some users report that the service does not update tracked phone locations quickly enough to be useful.
Glympse is another app similar to life360. It lets you temporarily share your location with friends and family for free. You can use the app on Android or iOS, but the person you share your location with doesn’t need to install the app, as they can simply view your location in a browser.
As a result, Glympse is an excellent way to share your location briefly with people you don’t know very well, such as business contacts, acquaintances, or extended family.
- No option for permanent location sharing with close family or friends.
7. Snapchat’s Snap Map
Snapchat Map is a quick and easy way to share your location with your friends, see where they are, explore what’s happening in your city, or see Snaps and Stories from anywhere in the world. Snap Map updates your location when you are using Snapchat.
- Snapchat updates your location only when you open the app.
- Not every family member or friend may use Snapchat.
8. Verizon Smart Family
With the Verizon Smart Family app, you’ll be able to track the location of your child, control the content they see on the internet and in apps, block social media, messaging and gaming apps, and take back family time by setting limits on usage. You can also see the battery life of their phones, monitor text and call history, and even control the experience whether they are on Wi-Fi or data.
- Devices that use simple IP or Static IP are not supported.
- Location tracking and the alert feature are only available to premium users which cost $9.99/month.
Different from other life360 alternatives in the post, OurPact Parental Control App & Family Locator is basically an app to control the activities of your kid on the iPhone. It allows parents to monitor, guard, and control their child’s app and internet exposure on mobile devices. It also acts as an all-in-one time management and family locating solution, enabling parents to limit their child’s online access at discretion and track the child’s location at any time.
The “Family Locator” feature enables you to trace your kid’s location and visited places. Parents can also create geo-fences around specific locations to ensure your kids are safe and connected. With a touch, or an alert, OurPact will share your kid’s location, at any time.
10. FindNow – Find location
FindNow allows you to locate friends and family by their phone number. Just install the app and send a follow request to your friends. Once they accept, you can follow their location.
11. LAP – Find Family & Friends
Lap – Find Family & Friends is a real-time location-sharing app and the best way to coordinate with family and friends. Get automatic notifications when your family comes and goes from home, work and school, and when they complete drives.
That’s the 11 most often used location sharing apps which can be used as the alternative of Life360. Each of them has their pros and cons. You can choose the one that meets your requirements and spend the least.
If you know other apps like Life360 that can perform better than all of the listed location sharing apps, please leave your comments.