Truecaller Reviews 2023: Everything About Truecaller App
This is a complete review to Truecaller app.
In this review you’ll learn everything there is to know about this popular caller ID identifier app, including the main features of Truecaller, pros and cons of Truecaller and privacy concerns.
So if you want block unknown calls from marketing agencies, banks, insurance companies, HR agencies, this Truecaller app review is for you.
Let’s jump right in.
Truecaller Review: What it Can Do
Block Spam Calls
Truecaller is really helpful in thwarting fraudsters, spam calls, and unsolicited calls from telecom service providers. It can automatically identify spam, fraud and Robocalls before you pick up. The color of the incoming call’s contact tells you whether it’s spam or not. A blue contact card usually means it’s safe, while a red contact card means you shouldn’t pick up.
See Detailed Caller Info
Truecaller shows the user who is calling when they call, even if the caller is not in user’s address book. It gives you information about callers who are beyond your address books like marketers and spam callers. Also, you can enter any number to lookup name and other contact info.
Filter Spam Messages
Truecaller also allows iPhone users to filter spam messages. To access the SMS filtering option on your iPhone, update the Truecaller app. Then, go to Settings > Messages > Message Filtering (Unknown and Spam) and select Truecaller under SMS filtering.
Video Chat with Anyone on Truecaller
Did you know that Truecaller allows you to make video calls? However, you need to install Google Duo to make it possible. When you click on a video call, Truecaller will automatically direct you to Duo and will make a call on your behalf.
Record Phone Calls (premium)
Truecaller can record calls too. Just tap on the three-lined icon (hamburger icon) on the top left of your app and select ‘Call Recordings’. Then press ‘Start’ and call recording will be enabled on your app.
Truecaller’s call recording is currently available only on Premium version. The free version has a 14-day trial, but you will need to upgrade to the paid version for unlimited access.
Check your Bank Balance and Make Payments
If you add your bank account details on Truecaller, you will be able to check your account balance, do instant money transfers and make payments via the app itself.
Privacy Concerns: Is Truecaller Safe to Use
In May 2019, Economic Times India reported that data of over 300million Truecaller users in India were being sold. Truecaller confirmed this information and the bug was immediately fixed.
We must say Truecaller is really safe.
You should know that Truecaller collects more than just your phone number and name. It also collects other information including geo-location, IP address, device ID or unique identifier, device manufacturer and type, device and hardware settings, SIM card usage, applications installed on your device, ID for advertising, web browser, keywords and metadata of incoming and outgoing calls and messages, Google ID’s and email addresses and more. All of the information can be leaked if someone hack Truecaller.
If you think Truecaller invades your privacy, then you can unlist your number from the app’s database. However, you will not be able to install the app using that particular number too.
Here’s how to unlist your number on Truecaller:
- If you’ve installed Truecaller at any time, then start the app and go to Menu > Settings > Privacy Center > Deactivate.
- After deactivation, uninstall the app from your phone.
- Go to the Truecaller unlisting page, choose your country, and type in your phone number with the country code. You can look up your country code on Google if you don’t know it. But make sure to do so, because it won’t work without the country code. Then click Unlist phone number and you’re done.
This app is a great option if you have limited funds and don’t mind ads. And if the features truly interest you, the Truecaller premium version is relatively inexpensive at just $2.99 per month or discounted to $26.99 per year for annual payments.
Pros and Cons of Truecaller
Pros of Truecaller App
👍It allows you to block spam numbers and report them to Truecaller database to mark it as spam so that others may also not suffer from this number.
👍Truecaller allows you to find mobile phone location of the number in search.
👍You can find caller from phone number. Similar to reverse phone lookup.
👍The app also comes with a ‘Who viewed my profile’ functionality, so that you can keep a track on who is viewing your number.
Cons of Truecaller App
👎 As already noted, one of the main problems that you would come to find with this is that of privacy.
👎 Truecaller requires Internet connection for it to work.
👎 Anyone can decide to tag any number anyone doesn’t understand as spam.
There are some apps like Truecaller that can identify caller ID, spam calls and block unwanted calls. Here are 5 of them.
- Hiya – Coming built-in with Samsung’s Phone app, Hiya is a Truecaller alternative caller ID and blocker app that is free to use and comes with no ads.
- Whoscall – Whoscall claims to have a database of more than 1 billion numbers with a community of more than 50 million. It comes with all the usual features like caller identification and block. They also have a business product called Whoscall card.
- Trapcall – While most caller id apps identify numbers based on the data they have collected from their user base, Trapcall will also identify calls from private numbers.
- Showcaller – Showcaller is a free caller ID and calls blocker app that can block calls from scam industry, block Robocalls and it also block telemarketing calls.
- Phone App – The phone app released by Google can screen spam calls and it can even detect numbers from around you. You can just head over to the phone app and simply search KFC, Domino’s Pizza, or the nearest Walmart number. It will provide you the contact number and location.
Truecaller Review: Bottom Line
In our Truecaller review, it is no doubt that Truecaller is a useful app. It reduces daily annoyances like spam calls, and simplifies a lot of the tasks you need to do on a regular basis. However, given the numerous privacy and security issues the app has faced in recent times, you should consider.