10 Best Dating Apps & Sites in Canada Worth Your Time in 2023
It’s never easy to find a lover, and challengers from COVID-19 has made dating even more difficult.
Luckily, online dating apps still let you meet new people from the safety of your home.
Then, what’s the best dating apps or sites in your country?
We decide to write a series of articles about the best dating apps and sites, and this post is for the best dating apps and websites in Canada. For other countries, you can read:
- 10 Best Dating Apps in Spain To Boost Your Dating Life
- 7 Best Dating Apps & Sites in Germany You Must Try
- The Top 10 France Dating Sites & Apps to Try Today!
- Single in Australia? 7 Best Australia Dating Apps You Should Try
- 10 Best Dating App for Asians to Find Love in 2022
I researched the most popular dating apps in Canada because I believe that a good dating app should at least of a lot of members. Otherwise, it would be very hard for you to find a lover.
Here are my picks for the top dating apps and sites in Canada. Each of these apps has its own character. Some are better if you’re looking for a long-term relationship, and others are more geared towards short term hookups.
Without further ado, let’s have a check.
Best Dating Apps in Canada
Best for quick and easy hookups
You may not surprise that Tinder is in the first of our list. We should admit that Tinder is consistently been one of the most popular dating apps out there since launching in 2012.
Tinder allows users to ‘swipe right’ on images of users if they’re interested in them and ‘swipe left’ if they’re not. It uses a minimal interface and bases its matches on location to the user.
- Huge users pool
- Tinder has a feature called “Face To Face” you can use to video chat within the app.
- Upgraded users can use the Passport feature to change location, which means you can swipe on local singles in any city.
- It attracts people looking for all kinds of relationships, from casual sex or a one-night stand to marriage and everything in between.
- Tinder has on-demand safety features via Noonlight.
- There are more men than women on Tinder, so you’ll likely have some stiff competition for the most attractive local women.
- Unless you pay to upgrade, you can only swipe right on 100 profiles every 12 hours.
Best for confident women and shy guy
Bumble is basically Tinder for women. It is a free dating app that requires women to message first. If the guy doesn’t message back within 24 hours, he loses the potential dates. In same-gender matches, either person can make the first move.
Women love the app because it cuts down on the number of unsolicited messages, and men love it—in fact, 58 percent of the respondents who preferred Bumble in PCMag’s survey were guys—because it takes some of the pressure off initiating.
- Women aren’t overwhelmed with unwanted messages.
- The app’s gender demographics are roughly equal, with 55% of users being male.
- The 24-hour time-limit does encourage users to be proactive in making communication.
- Bumblebff and BumbleBizz allow the dating app to be used for other purposes.
- Heterosexual men have limited input in initiating communication.
- Profiles less meaty than other apps.
Best for serious relationship seekers
Hinge is a dating app designed to help Millennials develop meaningful, lasting relationships. Instead of taking Tinder’s quantity over quality approach, Hinge’s format allows users to focus on a small number of profiles at a time. If you’re serious about finding a relationship, Hinge might just be the app for you.
The main function that makes this dating program different is the questionnaire during the registration. With these questions, the program finds out more about you as a person.
One more specialty of Hinge is the feature «Who Liked Me.» It’s possible to see users interested in your account. To get access to this section, you need to click on the like icon on the bottom of the page. However, if you are a free member, all faces will be hidden. To see the appearance of these users, you ought to purchase a premium subscription.
- Hinge makes it clear it’s for relationships, not hookups, which puts everybody on the same page
- Hinge profiles have style and substance
- Rather than swiping, you interact with the dater’s profile content directly
- Hinge uses your Facebook data to match you with people who have mutual friends while avoiding awkward ex and family ties
- Very limited likes for free users
- Even if you have skipped the profile, it can appear in your feed again.
Want to learn more about Hinge? Check out the detailed review of Hinge!
Best for casual dates and hookups
Described by many as part dating site, part messenger, part social network — Badoo brings an interesting spin to the world of online dating.
There are multiple ways on Badoo to browse other users’ profiles to find people you’re interested in. You can use all of its basic features for free, including browsing profiles, rating whether you like or dislike others, and messaging.
Available in over 250 countries with 47 language options, the Badoo app now is a popular online dating platform for people all around the world.
- Numerous Free Features
- Secure platform with the profile verification system.
- Uses “nearby location” feature to find you dates.
- Badoo offers multiple communication methods, including video chat.
- Badoo is not for long-term relationships.
- Badoo matching is based on photos and attraction, not true compatibility.
For all the details on this popular dating app, check out this Badoo review!
Best free dating site
OkCupid is another popular dating app in Canada, with users in more than 110 countries worldwide. That kind of popularity ensures a large pool of potential daters while maximizing your chances of finding a match. Best of all, they’re completely free to use, so dating on a budget is no problem at all.
OkCupid gives you a percentage rating of how you match based on your profile questions. There’s an overall rating at the top, but then also a breakdown further down the profile that gives you an idea of how you match up on lifestyle, religion, and other topics. Plus, you can click into the percentage to get even more details on compatibility. Curious how OkCupid works exactly? Check out this OkCupid review!
- Searching for matches and sending/receiving messages doesn’t require a subscription
- Quickmatch gives you a sample of potential matches so you don’t have to scroll through
- OkCupid caters to everyone, with more than 20 sexual orientations and 12 gender identities in its arsenal
- OkCupid allows anyone to send you a message, irrespective of your desire.
- No video chat
Best for people who are over tinder
Match.com, a pioneer dating website that launched in 1995, has users based in 24 countries around the world. People can sign up through Match.com and then download the app on their mobile devices. The app allows members to view profiles, upload up to 24 images, add users to their “Favorites” and rate their “Daily Matches”.
- In-depth profiles include a relationship questionnaire.
- Members receive daily matches selected based on personal compatibility ratings.
- Reverse Search shows users a list of dating profiles looking for someone like them.
- Mutual Search shows users a list of mutually compatible dating profiles.
- Only paid subscribers can send unlimited messages or see who has liked their profiles.
- Can be time-consuming to search through all the choices, features, and matches.
- You can’t choose who is in your Top Picks list, so free members have no control over who they can message and who they can’t.
Best for long-term relationship seeker
With over 40 million international subscribers, Zoosk is one of the best dating apps in Canada.
This platform is intended for people who are seeking a long-term relationship. It uses the “Behavioral Matching” algorithm to ensure that you get accurate matches according to profile activity.
There is also a Tinder-style feature that allows you to swipe through multiple profiles. You will be shown profile pictures with options Yes, No, or Maybe.
Currently, Zoosk can be accessed from more than 80 countries. Also, it supports 25 languages for convenient communication between members.
- Large member base means a good chance of finding a match
- Good balance of men and women on the site
- Photo Verification means a reduction in false profiles
- Limited to browsing one by one
- No messaging unless you pay
- Cannot search by common interests
- Only Zooskers with a photo can use the Carousel
Want to get the full scoop on this Zoosk dating app? Check out our Zoosk reviews.
Best for marriage seekers
Are you looking for a stable relationship? Eharmony is your heaven then. There is no mindless swiping on eHarmony and everyone using this dating site actually wants to find a partner.
With their advanced matchmaking algorithm and in-depth questionnaire, eHarmony provides you with daily matches that are within your location and seem to be compatible. In doing so, this dating site aims to match serious daters in the hopes of finding long-lasting love.
Also, Eharmony has specifically divided segments for various communities like – Asian dating, Black dating, Christian dating, Senior citizens dating, free dating, Hispanic dating, lesbian dating, gay dating, and local dating.
Want a detailed description of how eHarmony works? Check out our eHarmony reviews.
- In-depth compatibility quiz
- Large member base of serious daters
- Advanced algorithm and compatibility matching system
- Several positive eHarmony reviews and success stories
- Long sign-up process with over 70 questions
- Free membership is very limited
9. Ashley Madison
Best married dating site
Ashley Madison is a Canadian online dating site that caters to married individuals, those in relationships, or single individuals looking for a causal relationship.
Now, it has over 60 million users. Both men and women can join for free and browse for a person to have some fun with but men are required to sign up for a premium membership plan to connect with others.
Women seeking men on Ashley Madison can use the site completely free. All other users can sign up for a Guest membership that allows them to view profiles, send winks, and share photos for free. However, when Guest members are ready to send messages, they’ll have to pay and spend money by signing up for a credit or subscription package.
- Free for women
- More women than men
- Discreet and anonymous with anonymous payment options
- Not suitable for a serious relationship
- No auto matching
- There are scammers on Ashley Madison
For all the details on this affair dating app, check out this Ashley Madison review!
10. Coffee Meets Bagel
Coffee Meets Bagel is a dating app mainly focused on making user’s profiles better and more informational. By doing this they encourage people to engage in quality conversations and form meaningful relationships, instead of just “liking” or “disliking” each other and viewing others just as profiles, which is the case with most of the dating apps nowadays.
What is great about this app is that it maximizes your success chances, without you having to spend hours browsing potential matches. The principle is simple – men will get up to 21 “bagels” or potential matches every day at noon, but women will be suggested only with those that have the desired attributes they chose to look for, and that have already pressed “like” on their profile. One more thing that will save you time is the possibility to chat with your matches only for a week. This urges you to decide quicker, instead of spending weeks just chatting and never going out on a date.
To learn more about how exactly Coffee Meets Bagel works, check out this in depth Coffee Meets Bagel reviews.
- Users aren’t overwhelmed with matches and unwanted messages
- Women outnumber men on the app 60/40.
- It doesn’t require a huge time investment-you can’t browse profiles, and you’ll only get messages from users whose profiles you like.
- You only get a limited number of matches per day
- CMB’s matching algorithm is based on only five criteria: age, height, distance, ethnicity, and religion.
- The app hasn’t reached Tinder levels of popularity, so unless you’re in a mega city the user pool will be relatively small.
The trick to improve the success rate of dating is for the individual to know what they want and need in a relationship beforehand. Based on the list of best dating apps in Canada above, there are many types of relationships to be found on these apps and sites. Pick the one which is suitable for you.